Serving Beverly Hills, Westlake Village, and surrounding areas of Los Angeles
Glaucoma is a type of eye disease that can cause damage to your optic nerve due to abnormally high intraocular pressure within the eye. The optic nerve is responsible for carrying information from your eyes to your brain. If glaucoma is left untreated, the optic nerve can eventually become so damaged that it leads to permanent vision loss.
The best way to prevent glaucoma from negatively affecting your vision is to schedule regular eye exams with an experienced eye doctor. If it’s been awhile since you last visited an eye doctor, please call the Beverly Hills eye doctor Rajesh Khanna today at (888) 339-8143 to schedule a comprehensive eye exam.
Types of Glaucoma
The two main types of glaucoma are:
- Open-angle glaucoma – Accounts for over 90% of all glaucoma cases. In open-angle glaucoma, the eye’s drainage canals slowly clog up over time, causing increasingly high intraocular pressure. In its early stages, symptoms and damage may not be noticeable, which is why it is so important to have regular eye exams.
- Angle-closure glaucoma – Also called “acute glaucoma,” this is a less common form that develops rapidly. Symptoms and damage are usually noticeable right away, and require immediate medical attention.
Other types of glaucoma include:
- Congenital glaucoma – Usually occurs in infants when their eyes’ drainage canals are not fully developed during the prenatal period. This condition is rare and can be inherited.
- Normal-tension glaucoma (NTG) – This type of glaucoma can cause damage to the optic nerve even when your eye pressure is not necessarily high.
Symptoms of Glaucoma
Most people with open-angle glaucoma never notice early warning signs or painful symptoms. Since vision loss starts with peripheral (side) eyesight, and visual clarity is still sharp until the late stages of the disease, you can have glaucoma and not even be aware of it until it has reached its most advanced state. Regular eye exams are the only way to catch open-angle glaucoma in its early stages.
On the other hand, angle-closure glaucoma will begin showing symptoms right away, such as:
- Blurred or hazy vision
- Rainbow-colored circles appearing around bright lights
- Head and eye pain
- Sudden vision loss
If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, please contact The Khanna Institute or call (888) 339-8143 as soon as possible to schedule a glaucoma treatment appointment. We serve patients throughout the Los Angeles and Beverly Hills area of California.