Astigmatism is a common eye disorder that causes blurred vision at all distances. In a recent study of over 2,500 American children, more than 28% had pronounced astigmatism. Sadly it is often an ignored malady. The definitive treatment of astigmatism is idesign lasik eye surgery. Few people realize we can finally treat and even cure this eye disorder.
Astigmatism occurs when your cornea or your eye’s lens is irregularly shaped. It is egg shaped, A normal eye should be round like a ball. For football fans we present another example. Instead of being shaped like a soccer ball, the front part of the eye or the entire eye is shaped like a football. This improper shape prevents light from properly focusing on your retina. Instead of coming to a single point, light focuses at several different points both in front of and behind your retina, causing blurred vision.
Astigmatism can significantly interfere with your daily life. Your eyes may have so much trouble focusing on objects that they become fatigued, leading to other painful symptoms. Many people with astigmatism have never experienced clear vision before.
Symptoms of astigmatism include:
- Eye strain: We have learned that the image in this disorder is distorted. The muscles of the eye have to work extra hard. This causes a great strain.
- Frequent squinting:The eyes overcome the strain by trying to squint. This is thought to decrease the aberrations.
- Headaches: The brain is under stress to make sense of the imperfections. The constant need to interpret data is like making a computer work non stop. Just like the computer can heat up the brain can get a headache.
- Redness. The muscles are supplied nutrition by the blood vessels. As they have to supply more nutrition to the overworked eye muscles they increase in volume. This displays as redness.
- Inability to tolerate glasses The glasses are made as a mirror image of the football shaped cornea. That means the glasses itself are football shaped. Now when you have two negatives trying to make a positive there is lot of aberrations and side effects.
- Contact Lens falls off : Its difficult to have a foreign body object fit over a football. Try it sometime.
Glasses and contacts
Glasses and contacts are an effective stop gap treatment method for for football shaped eyes, they can be limiting. Especially if you have an active lifestyle. Forget about swimming. Be cautious if you are in active sports.If it rains and your glasses get fogged up you will be unhappy.
iDesign Lasik Eye Surgery
Many people with severe cases of astigmatism can completely transform their vision through iDesign LASIK eye surgery.LASIK works by treating the source of your astigmatism: the bad shape of your cornea. With targeted laser energy and advanced technology, Dr. Khanna will precisely alter the shape and curvature of your cornea. This will allow light to focus properly on the retina for the first time.Most astigmatism patients are excellent LASIK candidates. However, your eyes may have certain characteristics that would prevent you from having a successful outcome with LASIK. If this is the case, Dr. Khanna may recommend PRK (Photorefractive Keratectomy) as an alternative. The definitive cure of corneal shape abnormality is laser vision correction.
This treatment option is for those who are undergoing cataract eye surgery. The implantable lens is specially made to correct astigmatism. It has to be correctly aligned along the steeper axis. The alignment can be checked with Ora Verify . These implants can manufactured by different companies. They come in different colors.
Limbal Relaxing Incisions
A derivative of Radial Keratotomy or Rk. Circumferential or circular incisions are made on the cornea. It can also be performed as an office based procedure. Diamond knives set at a predetermined depth is used. Usually this procedure is combined with laser cataract eye surgery.
If you are tired of living with astigmatism and are ready for the gift of clear vision, please contact The Khanna Institute today to schedule a free initial consultation. We will discuss all of your astigmatism treatment options with you in detail.